Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Norcon XII Part 7- WIP Photos

I've had a lot of progress in the last two days. Several projects that I've been working on for the last two weeks all reached their conclusion at the same time, resulting in a pile of new terrain. All of these pieces are for the Starship Interior table.

The first piece is a "Primary Airlock", when the starship interior is finished there will be three of these airlocks connecting the two starship decks. For most soldiers, these will be the only way to get from one ship to the other to attack the enemy. The airlocks remain permanently closed at all times, but a model can pass from one side of a door to the other side by moving into base contact, and then performing a special Open/Close short skill. Models with the Infilitration and Mechanized Deployment skills will be able to start the game deployed inside of these airlocks, ready to jump into the enemy ship the moment they dock.

The second piece is hard to see in this picture, but will look nicer once it is painted. This piece is a "Secondary Airlock". There will be two of these on each ship, between the primary airlocks, but instead of opening to a safe tunnel that leads between the ships, these open to the harsh vacuum of space. Models with the AD/Zero-g, Zero-g, and Multiterrain skills have the ability to move through the space between the ships to use these airlocks to attack from unexpected angles.

The third piece is a new hallway segment used to connect the larger 12" tiles. This simple piece has a small wall section on it that models can use for cover, and after I paint it I will spruce it up a little more with some cool bits from Antenocitis Workshop.

The final new piece that I finished is called "Barracks". This 12" tile will be one of the main ship pieces where combat will take place. Unfortunately, it does not look very good in this picture with just primer on it. Once it is painted I expect it will look much better. Along two of the walls of this piece are sleeping pods, bunk beds that fold up into the wall. There is also a pillar in the middle of the room with some equipment lockers on it for the soldiers that sleep here. Once I am done with the piece I will be adding some more parts between the two outside columns using bits from Antenocitis Workshop. I haven't decided yet if I will place some furniture or a tactical map table in this spot.

I've also nearly completed assembly on another 12" tile, "Engine Room", but I had to wait for some more plaster parts to finish drying before I can put the last touches on the piece. This tile will probably be done tomorrow night, and then I can start painting.

Finally, I was able to put the final touches on the "Cargo Bay" piece, adding tinted windows and completing the assembly. I've got a lot of painting ahead of me now to get all these pieces looking nice. Also, I still need to make the final objective tiles and several new smaller tiles before the Starship Interior table is complete. For now though, the table is more than half done, which is great news since I thought this table would require the most work before Norcon. This progress puts me comfortably ahead of schedule.


No comments:

Post a Comment