Thursday, July 26, 2012

Norcon XII Part 11- Finished Tables 2

Today was another madcap day of terrain manufacture. After a quick break to go pick up some more paint I really buckled down and attacked my work load.

Things started out slow, since I had more construction work left to do on the beach table than I thought I did, but I managed to end the night just short of my goal of finishing 2 more tables.


First off, I finished the Starship interior table. I've been excited about this table for a long time, and it is definitely the table that I have put the most work and attention into. In the end I really wish I had done more detail work on it, since it turned out extremely plain. After Norcon I plan to go back and do more work on it, but for now it is table ready for Norcon and I don't have any more time available to dedicate to it.


I kept the paint scheme very simple, and was trying to model the appearance and color after the interior of the Death Star. I went with a simple grey color with a rough white drybrush to pick out some detail, but I plan to go back later and add some different shades of grey and some metal accents. The table itself is made out of 9 12"x12" tiles, made completely out of plaster cast pieces. Each individual 1"x1" tile was cast seperately using Hirst Arts molds, and the table consists of a total of nearly 2600 plaster bits. The plaster parts have been mounted on MDF board to hold them together so they can be moved around. Even though it ended up plain and plastic looking, I think it will make a fantastic back drop for some model photos at Norcon. I hope everyone is bringing painted armies!


The one element on the table not made of plaster are the two objective markers. These resin cast pieces are 'Weapons Consoles' from my new favorite terrain manufacturer, Antenocitis Workshop. Regular readers of this blog will remember that they also made the sci-fi cars and phone booths that will be on the Apartment complex table.




The second project I worked on today fell just short of completion. This is the Beach terrain table for the 'Search and Rescue' scenario. This is a semi-secret project that I've been working on for a while. The table is a fairly radical concept: I love the variety of difficult terrain types in Infinity so I wanted to make a table that showcased them. In the end I made a table that is almost completely difficult terrain, which features every type of difficult terrain from the Infinity game except for Zero-g.

The picture here was taken just after the last coat of airbrushing went on, and since this picture was taken I have added the water for the ocean. Unfortunately I did not use enough blue dye in my water resin, leaving the table looking more like a muddy lake than a beautiful ocean. I still need to do a little bit of painting and drybrushing on this table, but it is nearly done. Once the paint has been applied I will need to populate the jungle section of the table with flora.

After this I only have the apartment complex left to do, plus a couple of leftover buildings for the dockyard table. David from Light in the Grimdark is finishing up most of the terrain for the dockyard, while Joel from Brush Zealot makes the Japanese village table, so there is only a little left to do.

More photos tomorrow as I finish up my work!

1 comment:

  1. The Starship terrain is a blast to play on, and I look forward to seeing how the other combat teams do in those close environs. The beach is really starting to take shape too, and I look forward to slogging through the terrain. And Yah... my army will be painted.. I just have to sacrifice sleep and mental health... but it will be done!

    ReplyDelete