Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Norcon XII Part 1

This is the first of what will probably be many posts that will be appearing sporadically on this page. The next major Infinity event that I will be running will take place at Norcon this summer, a combo demo/freeplay and a large-format tournament. In preperation I have set myself a long to-do list of objectives that need to be completed before the event.

The most daunting of these tasks is creating the tables that will be used for the event. My goal is to create 6 different tables, using unique and striking terrain very different from what people are used to from other wargames. Over the next few months I will be tracking my progress on this blog, as well as posting photos of my work.

Table 1: Apartment complex, Quezon City, Phillipine Islands, Earth.
x4 multistory apartment buildings, chain link fences, swimming pool.
10% Finished

Table 2: Banking District, Torqua City, Neoterra.
x8-12 multistory office buildings, signs, fire escapes, city streets.
5% Finished

Table 3: Space Battle, Human Edge System
x6 12"x12" starship deck tiles, x4 4"x6" starship deck tiles, x16 4"x4" starship deck tiles.
25% Finished

Table 4: Abandoned Town, Taba Province, Bourak
x8-12 Middle-eastern style buildings, x8 stucco walls, small ruins
30% Finished

Table 5: Starport Dockyards, Matr Starport, Ariadna, Dawn
x50 Cargo Containers, x2 cranes, x2 floodlights, chain link fences, x2 guard posts
5% finished

Table 6: ?
0% Finished

In addition to building the tables for the event I need to finish painting my two demo armies. I also  need to finish writing the rules for the tournament, and play testing the scenarios. Finally, I need to order the tournament kit from Corvus Belli before the event. All together it's a pretty heavy workload, but thankfully I will have some help running the event, and I've gotten a nice early start getting ready.

I should have my first painted terrain pieces within the next couple of days and weeks, and I can start posting photos of my work to share with everyone.

I'd also like to hear some ideas from people about the terrain for the final table. I already have several pieces for doing an oil refinery or water processing plant, as well as a few pieces to make a forest.

2 comments:

  1. If you let me know when your going to run a demo night in advance, I'll be happy to chat it up with the locals and try to drum up some more interest.

    Anything to help out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good! Me and David have been running Infinity demos for the last few weeks on Sunday nights at Matrix, and we are planning on continuing to do so.

      As soon as we get at least a half dozen or so people to start showing up on a regular basis I'm planning on running play-testing/practice games using the scenarios for Norcon, and I am in the process of writing the rulebook for our third season of Infinity campaigning (unless the official campaign book comes out first.)

      So come on down to Matrix this Sunday, I would love to see some more people there!

      Oh, and if you don't mind, my name is Jon, not John.

      Delete